One of several breweries in the Bridgeport area, the White Eagle Brewing
Company was founded in 1897 by a Polish family and originally located in
an extension of the Wojciechowo (Saint Adelbert) neighborhood on
the West side. In 1907 the company moved to the Polish section of
Bridgeport -- just before the Central Manufacturing district got off the
The White Eagle Brewery was probably the largest brewery in Bridgeport. It might be noted that the White Eagle has been a Polish national symbol for centuries and reflects the strong ethnic consciousness of Chicago Poles.
Source: Central Manufacturing District (1915), p. 152. See bibliography for publication information.
[ RETURN ]