Built in 1894, this bridge was a gateway to Bridgeport. According to
Charles Fanning, this was probably the bridge so often referred to in
Finley Peter Dunne's Mr. Dooley columns in the Chicago Evening
Post as "The Red Bridge."
Source: Jacob E. Mueller, Chicago und sein Deutschtum: illustriert [Chicago and its Germanity: illustrated] (Cleveland: German-American Biographical Publishing, 1901), p.48.
* An excellent Barnes-Crosby print (BC No. 160) of this bridge is maintained by the Chicago Historical Society. See also Larry A. Viskochil, curator, CHS, Chicago at the turn of the Century in Photographs: 122 historic views from the collection of the Chicago Historical Society (New York: Dover, 1984), No. 105.