View of the Thirty-seventh street grade crossing of the Pittsburgh, Fort
Wayne and Chicago/Chicago and Western Indiana tracks, circa 1906
(evidently looking east). This was taken just prior to the elevation of
the tracks above street level. The track elevation intensified the barrier
between Bridgeport and Armour Square and, in fact, developed into the
boundary between the two community areas. In the second half of the
nineteenth century, both sides of the tracks had functioned as one
Note that the street was unpaved. Except for major thoroughfares, streets were still unpaved just after the turn of the century. Note also the watch tower on the left. Crossing gates had to be operated by tenders at that time.
Source: Chicago Department of Public Works Annual Report, 1906, p. 537. See bibliography for publication information.
[ RETURN ]