This view looks eastward toward Bridgeport. This particular bridge, a
single-leaf, trunnion bascule bridge, had just replaced a combination
wood/iron swing bridge that had been built in 1870, which had in turn
replaced an earlier bridge of an unknown type -- probably wooden. This is
the crossing Bridgeport iron workers would have used each day. Note the
street car (see also the previous picture). Prior to 1884, the horse car
line terminated at the South Fork of the river in Bridgeport. Huge horse
car barns were built on the river bank and remained for many years
thereafter. Bridgeport probably had more horses than people in its early
years. The bridge pictured here no longer exists.
Source: Chicago Department of Public Works Annual Report, 1906, p. 11. See bibliography for publication information.
[ RETURN ]