\ Bridgeport: Northwest area
Short and Hillock street, looking southeast.
These brick homes on Hillock (formerly Hickory) and Short streets were apparently converted from home/business structures. The building on the corner had once been a tavern and is now longer than it had been around the turn of the century. The building at the far end of Short street by the railroad viaduct had also been a tavern. Between the two had been (and are now) residential buildings, which had included some coach houses and a small out building used as a cigar factory. Homes, business, and industry were all close to one another for most of Bridgeport's history. In 1940, for example, nearly thirteen percent of the homes had had a business associated with them.

[Return]