The Ramova cinema building on Halsted street.
The Ramova cinema building, no longer showing movies, was at the south end of the "Lithuanian Downtown" on Halsted street, centering on Thirty-third street. This building was located between Thirty-fifth and Thirty-sixth streets. A large number of the early buildings of this district had been built by the Lithuanian community leader, Antanas Olsauskas (pronounced Ole-shau-skus), circa 1910. From the 1890s until the about the 1950s, Bridgeport was Chicago's leading Lithuanian neighborhood. After the 1950s, their numbers began to fall off. Nevertheless, a Lithuanian restaurant still remains on Halsted, near Thirty-second street.

[Return]