This view was taken from the Gottfried brewery, looking south, along the
Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne and Chicago railway/Chicago and Western Indiana
railroad. To the upper right of this picture is the Saint Anthony of Padua
(German) Roman Catholic church at Twenty-fifth place. This and the German
Evangelical Lutheran church, one block south, served both the Armour
Square and Bridgeport areas. When the railroad rights-of-way were widened
a few years after this picture was taken, both churches were moved. The
former to Wallace street and Twenty-eighth place (NE), while the latter
was relocated to Thirty-first street and Lowe avenue (SW) -- which had
already been the site of the Dreieinigkeits
(Trinity) Evangelical Lutheran school.
The large structures to the right of the church were the "Gasometer" tanks of the People's Gas-Light and Coke company. These particular tanks had a capacity of 682 thousand cubic feet of gas and the plant took up a full half-block of land.
Source: Chicago Department of Public Works Annual Report, 1906, p. 387. See bibliography for publication information.
[ RETURN ]