View of eastern McKinley Park and western Bridgeport from the Central Manufacturing District.

This view looks east from Thirty-seventh/Ashland. The Central Manufacturing District had been organized circa 1905 and started building around 1908. Previous to the Central Manufacturing District, this area was the site of the little lumber district -- an extension of the one located on the South Branch; although a large portion of the district had been little used marshlands. As this 1910 photo testifies, the district grew at an explosive pace. By about 1915 the district was essentially full. More land had been acquired along Thirty-ninth street (Pershing road) and the industrial district was extended west to Western avenue.


Source: Central Manufacturing District (1915), p. 33. See bibliography for publication information.

[ RETURN ]