Iron street was located to the south of the Union Rolling Mills (later
Illinois Steel Company), which had originally opened in 1865 on the left
bank (west side) of the South Fork at Archer Road. The Rolling Mills made
an impression on Finley Peter Dunne, who refers to the mills often in his
Mr. Dooley columns. By the time of this photograph, the steel works
were closed. However, metal working continued to be an important industry
in the area. Note the scrap iron in the photograph.
Source: Central Manufacturing District (1915), p. 10.
[ RETURN ]