View of the South Fork bridges, 1906.

This view looks to the northwest. In the background are the Chicago and Alton railroad and the Bridge (now Fuller) street bridges. Bridgeport had long been the location of bridges crossing the river. In its early years, the only bridges for miles outside of Chicago were here. The first known bridge dated to circa 1831 when a state road was built to the southwest. The site of that bridge was evidently farther north. The current location of the Archer avenue crossing dates to the rebuilding of Archer avenue by the canal commissioners in 1836.


Source: Chicago Department of Public Works Annual Report, 1906, p. frontispiece. See bibliography for publication information.

[ RETURN ]